Friday, November 22, 2013

a quilt for the plaid baby

One of my favourite quilty friends, Kaelin of The Plaid Scottie, welcomed a beautiful and healthy baby girl, Merida, into the world this past week!  There are a group of us who chat daily on Facebook about quilting and basically every other issue known to man (and some I am sure no one else has ever dreamed up), and we have been excitedly awaiting this moment since the pee hit the stick ;)  Even before Merida was conceived, Kaelin had put her order in for the Coolbreeze sweater I showed you here.  But in addition to that, the group of us decided to, naturally, make her a quilt.


Angela quarterbacked the whole thing (and I pinched all the finished quilt pictures from her site, with her permission of course).  After much discussion we opted on a paper pieced square in a square block that could showcase our collections of cute and precious fabrics, perfect for an I Spy quilt!  Oh what fun watching this come together!


There were about 10 us making this quilt for Kaelin and her "plaid baby" as she is known to us; Angela, Cherie, Cara, Michelle, Kelly, Ali, Amy, Rene, Elena, Tracey and myself.  Merida's nursery theme is "The Fabulous Mr. Fox" so there is definitely and abundance of fox-themed fabrics present.  These are the blocks I contributed!


A big shout out to Angela for quilting and binding this baby to perfection!


We are all so thrilled for Kaelin, and wish her and her new little family all the best.  And we hope Merida inherits her mother's appreciation and love of good fabric!! I am sure this is a good start ;)


11 comments:

DebraKay Neiman said...

love the eye spy quilt. New quilter from Oklahoma, USA. Glad to meet our Canadian Quilting Neighbors. crystalbluern at onlineok dot com

Svetlana said...

absolutely gorgeous. What a wonderful way to welcome a baby.

Little Island Quilting said...

You have quite the way with words. Great quilt.

Ashley said...

Oh I just adore this. I'm a new follower, love finding fellow Winnipegers who are so crafty! Do you sell these quilts? Or that sweater?
You are so, so talented.

Katie B said...

It's just so gorgeous! Is it wrong to be envious of a newborn? Feels wrong.

Michele said...

I just love it and it is that more precious because you created it as a group.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Beautiful welcome to the world x

felicity said...

aDORable!

Katherine said...

This quilt is so fabulous! I can imagine little fingers tracing over the images and playing endless games of I Spy.

A beautiful, thoughtful gift. Your friend will love it!

Sarah said...

Gorgeous quilt for plaid baby! I made a quilt using the same design for my cousin's baby born in May. No paper piecing here though! I used a special ruler.

Rebeca said...

Lindo! Adorei porque podemos aproveitar vários retalhos diferentes com padrões infantis e juntar tudo num só quilt.
Beijos